Global Day of Parents 2020 – Date, Theme, Significance
- In 2012, the UN General Assembly declared the first ever Global Day of Parents. Since then, it has been held annually on June 1 to honor parental units around the world. Being a parent is one of the most universal experiences, but it’s definitely not a walk in the park.
- Parents are the foundation of a child’s life. When a child takes birth, parents are the ones to take the child through all walks of life and nurture the child throughout life. Parents are our legal guardians and protectors.
- This day recognized the importance of responsible parenting in day to day life and was established in the year 1994. At this time when the world became very self-centered, President Bill Clinton signed an agreement to commemorate Parents’ day as an effort to promote parental responsibilities and family commitment.
- This day is also used as a platform to promote responsible parenting and to educate parents on happy parenting. A lot of educational activities are held all over the world for parents to learn about parenting and from each other’s parenting style.
- Parents’ Day was primarily a celebration that started in countries like the United States of America, the Philippines, and South Korea.
- The United States of America celebrated parents’ day on the fourth Sunday of July every year, and South Korea celebrated parents’ day on the 8th of May every year. United Nations declared Global Day of Parents to be held on the 1st of June every year in the year 2012.
Theme for Global Day of Parents 2020-
- “Appreciate all parents throughout the world” is the theme of global parents day 2020. This theme is the endorsement of parent’s struggles and sacrifices towards their children across the world. Not only parents rather grandparents and great grandparents are also a part of this day. So Global Day of Parent’s urges upon to show gratitude and due respect to the elderly.