DRDO develops disinfection unit of PPEs and other material called Ultra Swachh
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a disinfection unit named Ultra Swachh, as per a release issued by Press Information Bureau (PIB).
- Ultra Swachh is said to disinfect a lot of articles including Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs), electronics items, fabrics, etc.
- Ultra Swachh makes use of an advanced oxidative process that includes various barrier disruption approaches using Ozonated Space Technology for the process of disinfection.
- The PIB statement claims that the system is double layered which coupled with Ozone sealant technology that assures trapping of ozone, which is a prerequisite for the disinfection cycle. The device also houses a catalytic converter that makes it environmentally friendly.
- PIB also states that the system is in compliance with International Standards of Industrial, Occupational, Personal and Environmental Safety.
- Further, it has been equipped with various safety features such as emergency shutdown, door interlocks, dual door, delay cycle, and leak monitors, etc to ensure safe operations for a longer duration.
- Ultra Swachh comes in two variants namely Ozonated Space and Trinetra Technology, where the latter is a combination of Ozonated Space and radical dispenser.
- The device operates on 15 Ampere, 220 Volts, 50 Hertz power supply.
- The Ultra Swachh disinfection unit has been developed by the Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Sciences (INMAS) in partnership with industry partner M/s Gel Craft Healthcare Private Ltd, Ghaziabad.
- “Dimensions of the Industrial Cabinet are 7’x4’x3.25’ to disinfect large quantities at a time. Cabinets of different sizes will be available for the industry,” added the statement.
About INMAS –
- Institute of Nuclear Medicine & Allied Sciences is a laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation. Located in New Delhi, it is involved in Nuclear medicine research and responding to nuclear accidents and explosions.
- Founded – 1961
- Headquarter– New Delhi
- Director – Dr. Tarun Sekhri