Best Subject-wise Books to Prepare for UPPSC PCS 2022 Exam
The Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) conducts the Uttar Pradesh Provincial Civil Services (UPPSC) examination to select qualified candidates for various positions in the State government’s Ministries and departments. Candidates who pass the exam are assigned to positions at the district, divisional, sub-divisional, and state levels. The exam is divided into three parts: preliminary, main, and interview.
The most critical stage in exam preparation is selecting the right books/study material. Aspirants must select books with good content that will lead them to success.
Let’s look at some of the best books for UPPSC PCS preparation as suggested by the toppers and experts to achieve an excellent UPPSC result.
The UPPCS exam, particularly the Prelims exam, places a lot of emphasis on history. The history portion generates a large number of queries. The nature of the questions ranges from moderate to challenging. The following books can greatly assist candidates in preparation for the UPPCS history section.
- History NCERTs Books (Classes 9th to 12th)
- Ancient India by RS Sharma
- Satish Chandra’s Medieval History of India
- BL Grover’s Modern History of India
- A brief history of modern India by Spectrum
The commission asks fact-based questions on the location, names of physical features, and the largest and highest. It does not frequently ask physical geography questions. There are more global geography questions. The following are the most important Geography books for the UPPSC exam.
- Fundamentals of Physical Geography NCERT Class 11
- Geography – A Comprehensive Study by M. K. Barnwal
- Geography of India by Mazid Hussain
- Census of Uttar Pradesh
Indian Economy Books
The questions on the Indian economy in the UPPSC PCS exam are primarily current event-based, with very few questions on conceptual topics. Economy questions can be properly prepared by thoroughly staying up-to-date with current events of national, international and state importance. The best books for the Indian economy include.
- Indian Economic Development NCERT
- Introduction to Macroeconomics NCERT
Introduction to Microeconomics NCERT
- Economic Survey
- Indian Economy by Lal and Lal
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
The state government and High Courts are the focus of the Indian Polity questions in the UPPSC test. Questions from recent legislation passed or tabled in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly are also included. Learn about some of the best Indian Polity books.
- Constitution of India Bare Act
- Indian polity by Laxmikant
- Indian Constitution by P.M. Bakshi
Environment & Ecology Books
The UPPSC PCS exam contains few questions about the environment and ecology. Candidates can prepare for this segment by reviewing fundamental Ecology study material and current events. The following are some books that can be quite useful in preparing for environmental topics.
- Environmental Studies Books of IGNOU and NOS
- Environment Book – Shankar IAS Academy
Science and Technology Books
The UPPSC question paper does not focus on the most recent technology, but rather on General Science and its fundamental principles. This portion can be completed by reading any book on basic science basics. Moreover, the candidates need to cover this topic in the newspapers as well.
- Science and Technology by Ravi Agrahari
- Newspaper columns dedicated to technology
This is the most important topic for UPPSC preparation, and it affects all of the other areas discussed above. Candidates must thoroughly prepare for current events so that they can cover both the fundamentals and current events relating to that issue. Candidates can learn about current events from the following sources.
- Newspapers – Indian Express
- Press Information Bureau (PIB) website
- Monthly Current Affairs magazine
- Yojana and Kurukshetra monthly magazines
Besides the aforementioned books, candidates must also buy previous years’ solved papers with UPPSC answer key of all previous years’ papers for practice and to get familiar with the type and pattern of questions asked.